What is the Best Horse Water Trough?
If you own horses it is important to make sure that they have access to water that is clean and fresh at all times via a horse water trough. Undrinkable or insufficient water can lead to dehydration as well as illness. The needs of each horse different greatly and are affected by several factors including weather conditions, size of the horse, the type of feed provided, activity level of the horse, overall health of the horse, and if the horse is pregnant or lactating.
Fortunately, there are many horse water troughs available that can help horse owners provide their horses with clean water.
Some of the types of horse troughs that are available include:
- Plastic or metal buckets
- Automatic stall fountains and watering bowls
- Troughs, pasture bowls, and buckets made from a high impact polyethylene
- Garbage cans
- Steel barrels that are cut in half
- Iron bath tubs lined with porcelain or enamel
When it comes to the best horse trough there are several things to consider such as the durability, dependability, practicality, ease of use, and your horse’s needs overall. Design features include fully automated options that offer insulation that will minimize the use of electricity during the hotter and colder months, self-activated water flows, natural free moving water, and perhaps most importantly, good tasting water that is free of algae and other types of contaminants.
Here is a list of the top 5 best horse water troughs to consider.
The Little Giant from Duramate is an automatic waterer that can be used in your barn. It is a float controlled model that hooks up to a standard garden hose. This horse waterer will deliver fresh water to your horses at all times. It holds up to 4 gallons of fresh water and includes metal brackets so it can be used over a fence or on the wall. It is made out of an impact resistant polyethylene resin.
- Float control for automatic watering
- Hooks up to a standard three quarter inch garden hose
- 4 gallon capacity which is perfect for most horses
- Includes 30 inches of hose with female hose attachment at end
- Comes in several colors
- 14.25 inches long and 17.6 inches wide by 10.75 inches high
Behlen Country 5 Gallon Stall Waterer
If you have stall watering needs, this model will work well for you. This 5 gallon stall horse water trough is convenient and easy to use. There is no electricity used for this model, so there is no risk of a fire. Behlen is one of the top farm and manufacturer equipment companies in the world and has been around since 1936. When choosing a product from Behlen you are guaranteed to receive a high quality product for your animals.
- Made from roto-molded poly
- Keeps water warm during colder weather and cool during hotter weather
- Heavily insulated to keep from freezing during cold winter months
- Float cover and 5 gallon poly pail are included
- Easy to clean and maintain
- 5 gallon capacity, which is a good amount for even the thirstiest of horses.
Brower Super Insulated Electric Double Heated Horse Trough
This super insulated electric heated horse trough from Brower can be mounted on a pedestal for your horses. The high quality, drawn galvanized steel jackets and galvanized steel troughs are standard. A handy plug allows water to be drained quickly. The superior insulation of this trough helps save on heating during the winter months. The valve is constructed of ABS, which is tough and has a low porosity making it dependable and rugged.
- Can be mounted on a pedestal to use for horses
- Super insulation reduces heating costs. The extra thick foam insulation of the trough offers a 7.14 per inch r-value. This is the highest of any competing horse trough.
- The polyurethane foam clings around the trough as well as the jacket
- Water resistant insulation
- Insulation does not contain chlorofluorocarbons or formaldehyde and is unattractive to rodents
Behlen Country 123 Gallon Galvanized Round Tank
For those who have several horses or larger watering needs, the 123 gallon round tank from Behlen is the perfect solution. This tank is corrosion resistant and has been built to last through even the toughest farming conditions. The rigid side walls offer both ribs and corrugations. The tank bottom is made of heavy galvanized steel. This model is available in the 123 gallon version as well as in a 71 gallon and 74 gallon option.
- Built to last and endure even the most severe ranch and farm conditions
- Corrosion resistant
- Zinc coating ensures this horse water trough will last a long time
- Measures 66.25 by 20.75 by 23.4 and holds up to 123 gallons
- A reinforced steel tube is rolled onto the top lip to provide extra durability and strength
This commercial foam stock tank offered by Rubbermaid is one of the most durable horse water troughs available. It offers a 70 gallon capacity and is made using a seamless construction method. This construction method offers outstanding durability as there are no seams that will bust open. The oversized drain plug makes it easy to drain the water and clean out the tank whenever necessary.
- Seamless construction offers outstanding durability
- Built tough to provide superior performance
- Long lasting durability to withstand any type of weather condition
- Oversized drain plug makes it easy to drain
- Easy to clean
- Measures 41 inches long, is 32 inches wide, and 25 inches high. ]
- Holds up to 70 gallons
- Made in the United States
Overall, when it comes to choosing the best horse water trough there are several things to consider. You will want to make sure that each of your horses has access to a good amount of fresh, clean water at all times. Often you will want to choose one horse watering trough for inside the barn and another to use outside while the horses are grazing.
Categorised in: Horse Troughs